Wednesday, March 30, 2016

What Holiday?

You will make many decisions on your homeschool journey.  Many!  What to teach, when to teach, how to teach.  Luckily, for the most part, save state laws, the decision is up to you.  Some you will find easy to decide.  Others, well, let's just say, others can get a bit tricky.

Like those pesky holidays.

There are some holidays that I deem worth celebrating and then there are those that I am pretty sure were established by the card companies, politicians, or tired and burned out teachers.

Let me give you an example.
Valentines Day
Groundhogs Day
Presidents Day
Labor Day
Halloween
St Patricks Day

Just to name a few.

Now before you get mad at me, let me explain.

I went to public school, and I remember these holidays vividly.  But here is what I remember.

The decorations
The coloring sheets
The fancy snacks brought in by moms
The crossword puzzles
The crafts
The music and fanfare.

And not ONE thing about why we were basically taking a whole day off of academics to celebrate that particular holiday.  Not one thing.

I am willing to bet that many of you could admit the same thing.

In some ways I am ok with that.  Sometimes we all need a break and to have some fun.  Sometimes kids have worked hard in a particular area of study and you may feel that they need to be rewarded.

Awesome!  Party on!

But, I will have to say that I get a bit miffed when people act like I am a bad teacher when I tell them we do not take those particular days off from school or treat them any differently than any other homeschool day.

It is not that I am a meanie.  It is not that I do not believe in having fun.  I do however believe even more strongly in academics and the need to learn.  If one of those days comes along and there is true historical value in it, don't worry, we will cover it!  Not by taking the day off of school or wasting the entire day with trivial activities, but by researching, discussing, and evaluating.  However, if there is really no use in that holiday, and I would argue there are a few in that category, we move on.

Should every homeschooling family agree with me?  Of course not.  The beauty of homeschooling is that we are all able to choose the path we feel is best for our children.  We are a conglomerate of people who acknowledge differences, respect others in their decisions, and do the best we know how to raise our children.

No matter your decisions on Holidays and how to school around them, rejoice in the knowledge that YOU the parent, have the freedom to choose!  Freedom-what better reason to homeschool!


5 Days of Tips for Homeschool Parents

Once again, I have the privilege of sharing a few of my fellow Crew members' blogs for you to enjoy even more Tips for Homeschool Parents!  These gals are in the trenches with you daily, while blogging about it on the side.  Enjoy and know you are never alone in this journey!

Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break
Latonya @ Joy in the Ordinary
Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
Leah @ As We Walk Along the Road
Lisa @ Farm Fresh Adventures
Lori @ At Home: where life happens
Meg @ Adventures with Jude
Megan @ My Full Heart
Melanie (Wren) @ finchnwren
Melissa @ Mom's Plans


Blessings,

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. We generally don't take any of those days off school. If anything, we'll do something special for lunch (like Lucky Charms on St Patrick's Day!). If we need a break - we just take a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids will want to come to your house on St Patricks Day! ;)

      Delete
    2. My kids will want to come to your house on St Patricks Day! ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you for the most part, but I do think things have changed in many public schools. I taught elementary school before my baby was born, and we were limited to 45 minutes of frivolity for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's. It was actually a very popular day for unscheduled teaching evaluations--the principal wanted to make sure the kids were learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Sounds like you were blessed to work at a good school under good leadership! They DO still exist!!

      Delete
    2. That is great! Sounds like you were blessed to work at a good school under good leadership! They DO still exist!!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!