Friday, February 1, 2013

Fun Fridays- Muffin Madness!

When I first started blogging last year, I mentioned here about my family eating muffins for Friday morning breakfasts with a dear friend and her family.  We still do muffins almost every Friday at our house, without that friend to share with sadly (boo hiss, military!), but each time we mix them up it makes me smile at the memories we have sharing muffins with someone each week.  Warm muffins in the morning are yummy.  Warm muffins in the morning made by or for a friend are delightful!

So this month, Fun Fridays are all about MUFFINS!

First one up is a recipe I have been using for over 18 years!  No kidding!  When I was first substitute teaching, before our first was born, a preschool director introduced these to me.  She made them as bread in coffee cans.  We loved them and they are a staple in our house.  You can use whatever fruit you choose, I seem to remember her using strawberries, but we either use pumpkin or applesauce. 

I love this simple recipe.  It is one of those just pour it all in a bowl, mix and put in the muffin cups.  One bowl to clean, no fancy steps to remember.


Quick note- this is NOT a "healthy" recipe.  If you are looking for low cal or just good for you ingredients, better close your eyes real quick and change blogs for this one.  I do try to make up for it by using our own milled flour and usually substitute honey granules for the sugar.  I say usually, because I am currently out and have not reordered them.  So, white sugar it is....shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell.  Hey, I gave up diet cokes this month, I deserve a little white sugar, right? ;)


Fruit Bread

3 cups flour (we use whole wheat)
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. sugar (or 1 1/2 honey granules)
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup oil
2 1/2 c. fruit (applesauce, pumpkin, strawberries)

Mix all ingredients together and fill muffin pans 2/3 full.  Bale at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Makes 2 dozen, so there are plenty to share with a friend or freeze half for the following week's breakfast.  Or snacks!


 
Enjoy and Happy Friday, friends!
 

2 comments:

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!