Monday, October 27, 2014

Storin' Up

The Simple Life

Who named it that?  Because quite frankly there is nothing simple about living off the land.

My kids have taken to calling me a squirrel lately.  And not because I am easily distracted these days, though that may be true.  But because they think it is funny that I am storing up for the winter.

Why?

Because I can.  And because it saves money.  And because I love fresh food in the winter. And because I am perfectly happy to stay inside all winter long, snuggling with my kiddos and reading a book.  And watching the snow fall.

Seriously!



And so I have dehydrated hash browns


and canned potatoes




Frozen squash


and pumpkin (at .50 per two-cup bag!)



 and apple pie filling and applesauce


and tomato sauce.


And help process 60 some chickens for the freezer.

The processing crew!

and a cow is on the calendar!


For the record, when the de-feathering machine stops working, I go on strike until someone fixes it.  I am not a hand plucking kind of gal!  Which is why it is always good to have an engineering student helping with the process who knows how to fix things!.


So while he did all of this...


The old(er) men mostly watched supervised! ;)


And in case you think the girls did not do much, proof- of a little work and a little fun too!


Next on the list of things to do- elderberry syrup!  We have used it in the past and swear by it for staying healthy!

Now, if I could just find a way to stock up on chocolate! ;)  Lots and lots of chocolate.  I think I am going to need it!

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I have one bag of frozen pumpkin left from last year, it was great to have all year long! If you're getting Scottish Highland beef - you're getting the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!