Monday, August 25, 2014

R is for Ready, Set, Go!


And we are off!

It is time for school.

Actually by the time many of you read this we will be either in the middle of our first full day back or celebrating the fact that we survived the first day back.  (yes, some days are worth celebrating!  Trust me)

While we normally school year round, we do take some longer breaks in the summer and lighten our schedule somewhat.  I do want the kids to continue to think I am the best teacher ever, of course.

But today, we are back to a full schedule with a few new books and a few new rules.  Most apply to the kids, but a few may apply to you so listen up!


That's about it.  Short, sweet and to the point.  Remember, this is our 16th year of homeschooling, so we have this pretty well mastered.  We are going to try something new this year.  We will do school for 6 week increments and then take a week off to rest.  Then repeat.  It works out well for the first half of the year falling in line with a "fall break" with dad's schedule and Thanksgiving break as well.  After Christmas, who knows- I haven't looked that far.  (Can you believe it?)  When our oldest was away at college we were very tied to her school calendar to make things work and it drove me crazy, so I am eager to try something new for a change.  I will let you know how it works.  For you homeschooling moms who have tried it this way in the past, I would love to hear how you made it work.  Or if you have worked out the after Christmas schedule yet, please share!

Regardless of whether your family homeschools or your kids go off to school, I pray this will be a blessed year  for you.  I encourage you to remember that while academics are important, families are more important.  Love yours to the fullest each day and you will never be sorry!

Blessings,
Join us as we blog through the alphabet with Marcy at Ben and Me!

Ben and Me

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I like those rules -- do you use the computer for videos or any other things? Just wondering how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Beth, my 7th grader uses the computer for math and vocab and my 2nd grader uses it for veritas history. After school the youngest can earn 30 minutes of a video or computer by doing a level of reading eggs

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!