Monday, April 15, 2019

34 Weeks of Clean 2019! Week 15 - The Master Bedroom

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, the bedroom.  A place of rest and relaxation.  And beautiful sleep.

Anyone?

Yep, me neither.  At least not most of the time.

Most of the time it is a catch all.  A place to pile laundry waiting to be folded.  A place to throw the extras when unexpected company comes.  A place of piled up books and stuff to be filed and on and on.

But rest...not really.

So today is the day.  Well, luckily for you, this WEEK is the week.  Yes, you have a week to make a transformation.





This week's assignment- the Master Bedroom.
We are going to make it a picture of rest.  A place to unwind.  A safe haven for sleepy heads.  (cue lovely music here)

Are you ready?

* First off- we are concentrating on just the bedroom proper.  Stay out of the closet and drawers for now.  Yes, I am talking to a few specific people, not naming names yet, that I KNOW like to get ahead.  Stop it!  You are making the rest of us look bad.  So stick to the assignment at hand.

Please keep in mind- this is that once a year, deep cleaning project.  Let's go!

  •  Strip the bed linens and put them in the wash.  ALL of them.  Comforters and bedskirts as well.  Trust me, they are dirty.  Throw pillows?  Them too!  Mattress pads?  Yep!  Take this time to replace anything that is old and ragged.

  • While those things are washing, take everything off flat surfaces and take them OUT OF THE ROOM! Seriously, go on and do it.  I will wait.  As you can see, I had a lot to clear off!

  • Wipe off window frames and clean windows.  If you have mini blinds, I am sorry.  Those get done too.  If you have curtains, into the washer they go.  If you are simply too afraid to wash them, at the very least, take them down, pop them into the dryer on air dry and give them a few minutes.  You will be surprised at the difference even that will make, I promise!

  • Time to look up, try not to cry, and clean off those ceiling fans and light fixtures and corners of your room.

  • Don't forget light switches.  Crazy how dirty those things get!

  • Since your surfaces are bare (you did take stuff out, right?), dust!  No feather dusting this time, deep clean dusting only.  Tops, sides and more!

  • Before you put anything back, pull furniture away from walls and hit those baseboards!

  •  Vacuum around the edges of the carpet.

  • Now put furniture back- this is your chance to do some quick rearranging if your husband is not looking- I mean if your husband agrees! ;)  Since we just moved in less than a year ago, this room hasn't been re arranged but I did manage to find a new-to-us chair from our neighborhood website and snatched it up.  It is notw my place for reading and Bible study and I LOVE it!

  • NOW, put your "stuff" back, but aim to only bring back half.  REMEMBER, WE ARE DECLUTTERING, TOO!  Is it needed?  Do you love it?  Is it time to give it to someone else to enjoy?  As you replace each item (after much thought, much thought being the operative word), make sure it is also wiped down.  Don't forget those plants and baskets.  They collect a lot of dust- ask me how I know!

    *A word about nightstands.  Why do they seem to be a second (or third) junk drawer sort of area? Honestly, keeping mine straightened is one of my biggest battles. I kid you not.  There is always a stack of books waiting to get read, with a few in progress.  Add to that chap-stick, emergency weather radio, pens (in case I want to take notes in said stack of books), hair bands, a tea cup, and on and on and on.  I now use an old sewing machine as a nightstand that has a few drawers to hold those things in hopes of it at least having a semblance of tidiness. 

  • Remake your bed. I admit, after 26 years of marriage we bought a king sized bed.  There was just not enough room in the bed for me, Clarke and his Darth Vadar machine! I liked the current quilt we were using but it didn't fit anymore, and my hubby did not love it because it was so heavy.  (I have a thing with flannel quilts) I finally found a lighter quilt and so far there have been no complaints!


  •  Lastly, finish vacuuming and you are done.

Seriously, you are done!  That is a lot of work.  Reward yourself with a cup of tea, a chocolate treat and a good book.

Oh, and a good night's sleep, of course!

Real quick, I need to brag on my super star husband and son who stained and hung a barn door to my bedroom to close off the bathroom. I love it!





Don't forget we would love for you to leave us a picture on our Family, Faith and Fridays facebook page.  We're all in this together and sharing is half the fun!

See 'ya back next week!  Until then, happy cleaning!

Blessings,

Intro Week
Week 1- Holiday Decorations
Week 2-The Pantry
Week 3-Kitchen Cabinets and Drawers   

Week 4- Fridge, Freezer and Floors
Week 5- Recipes 
Week 6- The Stove and Loose Ends 
Week 7- The Dining Room 
Week 8- The Living Room 
Week 9- Books 
Week 10- Bathrooms  
Week 11- The Foyer
Week 12- The Family Room and DVDs 
Week 13- Pictures and Scrapbooks
Week 14- Arts, Crafts and Hobbies 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!