Monday, February 11, 2019

34 Weeks of Clean 2019! Week 6-The Stove and Loose Ends

OK friends, with your recipes done we are ready to embark on our final push for the kitchen.  After this we will really only spend one week in each "area" of our house so be ready for some serious digging in!


But this week- we should have called this "the week that almost did not happen!"  Seriously!


The first time we tackled 34 Weeks of Clean years ago my friend, Cristi, from Through the Calm and Through the Storm reminded me of Kitchen Countertops!  I personally did that when we did the cabinets, but failed to mention it to you. SOOOOOOOOO, if you have not tackled that area yet, today is going to be the day.



And the loose ends- are you ready?

Your assignment this week-

The Stove/Oven and Microwave, tops of cabinets, windows, blinds, and light fixtures.  Hang in there - I promise this is the end of this room!  The good news is that after this deep cleaning we should only need a light weekly maintenance to keep it sparkling.  At least that is my story and to keep you as friends I am sticking to it.


So our final push-
  • Clear/clean off any counter top space you have!  Clear them off, clean them up, and see if you can keep them clear!  Now THAT is the challenge.  Is it just me?  We always seem to have one place that collects things- let's just say the battle is real, friends!  Get rid of the piles you have sitting there (I KNOW I cannot be the only one) and resolve to not let them creep back up on you by next week...or tomorrow.  I challenge you to only put half of what you take off those counter tops back- it might seem stark at first but you will be surprised at how much neater it will look and how much more prep space you will have.  Out with the clutter, my friends!




That pile has GOT to go!  It is a constant battle.



  • Microwave- Clean it!  Inside and out!  This is a good job for a teen, just saying! ;)

  •  Stove/Oven- This is a good job for a maid, but since I cannot convince my hubby I need one, I guess I am the one tackling this one.  Yay for automatic oven cleaners, yuck for the burnt smell no matter what.  I admire you who can keep the bottom of your oven clean.  I am not one of those people (obviously).  I have tried. I have failed.  Crack your door or window if you can to get rid of the smell!  And for the record- who else thinks that those pizzas that say cook directly on the shelf should be outlawed?  I mean really, who thought melting cheese dripping all over the oven was a good idea?  No more, I tell 'ya!
 


Hopefully a little baking soda, vinegar and hot water will make this good as new.  I will keep you posted!

I have had a love/hate relationship with my past gas stoves, but I do love the one in our new house.  Praise be to the woman who begged her husband to put it in.  Shame on him though for allowing her to put in TWO stoves. And dishwashers! But I digress.  Anyway, this one is is much easier to pull apart and clean.  Which is a good thing because while my husband's cooking skills are good, he and his bacon are messy!



  • Tops of cabinets.  Make sure you not only take all that decorative stuff off the tops and wash off the LAYERS of dust, (anyone else?), but then also take the time to vacuum or wipe the layer of dust off the cabinets.

  • If you have blinds in your kitchen, now is the time to wash them down.  You can dust them on a regular basis, but they do occasionally need a good, deep cleaning!  I have taken ours down in the past and put them in the tub, but our current ones are wood so I just do them slat by slat.   If you have curtains (smart you!), just wash them and rehang.  While you are there, wash those windows and wipe down the ledges!

  •  And last but not least, wipe off any light fixtures you may have in your kitchen, replace any burned out lights, and check your fire extinguishers.  If you do ot have one, these new small ones are handy to have around and be found at Walmart and such.  Consider this your friendly public service announcement.  You are welcome.


Wow!  We are DONE with the kitchen!  Take a step back, admire your hard work and pat yourself on the back!  Imagine me cheering yay you!  You did it! 


Let me also take a second to encourage you to keep moving forward.  We all have busy lives.  Some weeks are crazier than others.  Sometimes we get a lot done, other times we should just celebrate that the children got fed and bathed, right?  It's ok!  Embrace the life the Lord has given you and celebrate the time you have to enjoy it!


Next week we are moving out of the kitchen- get ready!
Happy Cleaning and many blessings,


Intro Week
Week 1- Holiday Decorations
Week 2-The Pantry
Week 3-Kitchen Cabinets and Drawers   

Week 4- Fridge, Freezer and Floors
Week 5- Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!