Monday, February 18, 2019

34 Weeks of Clean 2019! Week 7- The Dining Room


OK, I am going to just jump in feet first and say it- I am so excited about this week's challenge.  Why, you ask? 

One, we are DONE with the kitchen.  Finally.  And two, because my new dining room is pretty simple.  Dining rooms tend to be areas that only get used a few times a year and otherwise go unnoticed.  This one is getting a lot more use than usual with all of our visitors, and in our case, it doubles as a school room, but that's another post!

If you have a separate eat-in area of your kitchen, include that in this week's assignment.  

Ready?




This week- The Dining Room



 Your assignment-

  • Clear everything out!  That means empty drawers and clear off flat surfaces.  Once a room is fairly empty it is easier to clean.
  •  Now that those furniture pieces are cleared out, time to clean them up and make them shine!  Clean top to bottom. I love to Murphy's Oil Soap a few times a year, but up to you!

  • Pull all the furniture out from the walls and clean behind each piece, vacuuming or mopping, whichever is applicable.

  • Now is also the time to deep clean your table and chairs.  If you have one in the kitchen, sorry, but go back and hit it, too.  Not just the top, but the legs and all.  Chairs too!  Just think about how many dirty hands touch the rungs and sides of chairs.  Ok, don't think about it- just scrub!

  •  Other areas to clean- mini blinds (did I tell you I loathe mini blinds?), windows, curtains (yes, take them down and wash them), chair rails, light switches, and chandeliers.  This is the time to get it all.

  • Last big area, the floor.  Just like in the kitchen, work your way around the baseboards and then on to the floor.

  • So all that stuff you pulled out of the buffet and such- time to declutter!  Evaluate and purge what you do not need, then put it back, neatly please.  We are currently using this dresser as a "hutch" because my daughter doesn't want it in her bedroom.  This is actually the third house we have done this in, and it has grown on me.  Inside it are things like placemats, tablecloths, and a few silver trays I use for entertaining.  After weeding out so much last year, we can now house school supplies in the six outer drawers.  Yay me!



 A few notes, especially for those of you with formal dining rooms!


  -So here's the deal- grandma's china may be lovely but if it does not get used it is just taking up space.  If you love it and use it, keep it.  If not, give it to someone who will.  A few years ago I finally let go of one of our Christmas china sets.  Now I have only one, but someone somewhere is now enjoying the other set (I hope).  Win win!


 - Almost 25 years ago I thought it was a great idea to register for 12 wine glasses and 12 champagne glasses, along with 12 of a lot of other things I did not need or use.  Eventually I gave our movers a break and passed them on (you are welcome!).  Yes, they were pretty, no they were not necessary.  Ask yourself if everything you have you really need.


 -Yes, I admittedly own several sets of dishes.  (Although not Christmas ones anymore!)  I promise I often feed large groups at a time and I use them.  ;)  Again, if you use it, keep it.  If it is just sitting around for some day, it may be time to let it go.

 -Yes, you CAN have too many tablecloths and placemats.  Ask me how I know.  I now have a few less.  Grandma's old "antique" tablecloth was lovely, but, with a few holes in it, I was not going to use it. Sensibility trumped sentimentality.  I think she would understand.




  -If you entertain and can justify owning glass plates and a punch bowl, by all means keep them. I do.  But if not, most churches have sets like that and are usually more than happy to let you borrow theirs in a pinch.  Again, make decisions that are right for you and then be happy with those decisions.

  
Remember, our goals include deep cleaning all those surfaces, de-cluttering what we don't need or simply do not use anymore, and reorganizing.  This is what can happen when you put your mind to it-




The local Goodwill store likes us these days!

Tired yet?  Trust me, this is probably not going to be a one-day job for most of you. If you do not have a dining room at all, then make that kitchen table sparkle and reward yourself with a treat.  Chocolate works great!

6 weeks of challenges down!  How are you doing?  We love seeing all of your pictures each week and are amazed at all of the people still with us.

Blessings and happy cleaning!
 Intro Week
Week 1- Holiday Decorations
Week 2-The Pantry
Week 3-Kitchen Cabinets and Drawers   

Week 4- Fridge, Freezer and Floors
Week 5- Recipes 
Week 6- The Stove and Loose Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!