Monday, April 1, 2019

34 Weeks of Clean 2019! Week 13- Pictures and Scrapbooks

Let's just start this post by stating the obvious - I am not the BEST person to write on this particular subject.  I used to be.  But nowadays, not so much. Just like the past few years, I seriously considered having some wonderful someone guest post, but decided that I may as well come clean about my scrapbooking.  Or lack thereof. AGAIN.


I use to be a scrapbooking queen.  Loved it, went to crop nights and weekends, was all caught up, and had a house full of ribbons and stamps and pretty paper, stickers, and more.  It was fun.


I had ONE child.


Now I have four.  And I homeschool.  And until recently, I moved every two years.  And I am busy.  I have a lot of excuses, but regardless of which one I claim at any given moment, the harsh reality is that I am very behind.  Years.  Let's don't count how many.

People always complain that bloggers only show the perfect part of life.  First of all, there is no such thing.  And second of all, I am about as imperfect as they come- so let's just get it all out there.  Here is my current state of affairs-





Truthfully, my problem is not really even the scrapbooking part.  OK, maybe a little, but my bigger problem is the pictures. Hundreds of them.  Old fashioned picture film was my best friend.  You took 24 pictures, went to your local drugstore and had them printed.  Done.  Now I take hundreds of lovely digital pictures and they are lost somewhere in the abyss of my phone or computer.  I know, I know, download them and have them printed you say.  I try every so often and it takes so long to find the ones I want to try to download that I give up in disgust and walk away.  Hence the years of being behind.


Just for the record, last year I even downloaded a program on my phone that I can just add pictures to fancy templates, add decorations and such, and then order the pre-made pages.  STILL. NOT. CAUGHT. UP!  It's tiny and hard to see and it intimidates me.

My latest goal has been to get ALL of the picture off of my phone.  Thanks to the Free Photos app, I am making progress.  85 prints a month at a time.  Problem is, the longer I wait, the more pictures that get lost in the abyss.  I know.  It may take me forever,  Let's don't talk about it!


So this week, and well, let's face it, for MANY more to come, my NEXT goal is to try to organize those pictures and get started.  That is your challenge as well.  For those of you who are more organized, take this week to scrapbook to your hearts delight and then come help me.


You will find me in a puddle buried under hundreds of pictures.



Really!


Just to try to save face and because I do actually have a decent plan, though lacking execution, here are your helpful hints-


1 - Purge!  Really guys.  Memories are great, but the sweetest memories we hold are in our hearts.  Let's not make our photo albums our idols.  Have fun and keep the important pictures, but let's get rid of the multiples, pictures of people with cut off heads, and ones that would embarrass all of the relatives.


On that note, let's not make all of the supplies our idols.  One thing I found was that the more scrapbooking became a social thing for me, the more I had to do to keep up with the cool kids.  It became a ridiculous amount of work and lists of supplies.  I have the receipts to prove it.


Am I the only one who is a sucker for all that amazing patterned paper?  I finally had to decide that I simply did not need all of that stuff in my life and passed much of it on to friends who would make better use of it!  Everyone is different, but I am here to tell you that that additional clutter was not only taking up valuable space in my home but in my head and heart as well. Not good! 



2- Print your pictures!  No really, do it! 


3- Make a plan!  THIS is the week I am going to get the pictures printed.  THIS is the week I am going to pull it all out!  THIS is the week I am going to put it all in albums.  THIS is the week I am going to work on that digital program.  Whatever your need is - make. a. plan!


4- Simplify! Here is where a friend of mine really saved me several years ago.  Instead of scrapbooking every single picture I ever took, I began doing a 10 page double spread per year.

  •     Friends
  •     Hobbies & Sports/School
  •     Vacation
  •     Birthday/ Family
  •     Christmas

  


 -You might decide you need a few extra pages, but the point is we are cherishing the highlights!


  -Another way to simplify is to go all digital.  I love this idea in theory, but it still intimidates me.  Seeing the pictures on my little phone makes it hard for the perfectionist in me to decide on anything, but I am trying to adjust.


For those who do not scrapbook - no worries!  You still have pictures!  Let's organize them in a shoe box or fun craft box.  However you decide to preserve your memories, commit to work on it this week.


OK, are you ready?  Yep, me neither, but we can do this.  And I am willing to bet it may take more than a week for most of us.  But it will never get done if we never get started!



Here we go!


Don't forget to share those pictures as you work- inspire us!


Blessings,

 Intro Week
Week 1- Holiday Decorations
Week 2-The Pantry
Week 3-Kitchen Cabinets and Drawers   

Week 4- Fridge, Freezer and Floors
Week 5- Recipes 
Week 6- The Stove and Loose Ends 
Week 7- The Dining Room 
Week 8- The Living Room 
Week 9- Books 
Week 10- Bathrooms  
Week 11- The Foyer
Week 12- The Family Room and DVDs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!