This week - Fridge, Freezers, and Floors!
For some, this will be a fairly easy project. For others, it may be a challenge, as I realize that many of us have multiple fridges and freezers. Not to mention I loathe getting down on my hands and knees to do floors, but yes, we are going to do it- together! Here we go!
So, some tips-
- Start high and end low! In other words- fridge and freezer first, floors last. Here is why-
- Which leads us to the second tip - do not put open cans back in your fridge. Take the time to put the contents in sealed containers. Not only safer food storage, but cleaner! If you need to cover leftovers, we have found these cloth type coverings to work best. Ashton made this set I own, but I know you can buy them (try searching "reusable food cover" or "reusable bowl cover" on Etsy.com). When they get dirty I just pop them in the wash!
- If you are amazing and do this on a regular basis, clean out when your stock is at its lowest. Make your life easier by having less to move out while you wipe down shelf surfaces and bins!
Take any bins, drawers, or dividers out and wash them with soapy water. Again, I use this homemade multi-cleaner, but do what makes you happy. Do every surface, inside and out, and do not forget the dusty top. Yes, even the top! I know, scary, right?!
Beware! (Being completely transparent here) When you remove the drawers, you may find a mess like this. Obviously the kids spilled something and I did not see it because it was under the drawer. And yes, I did just completely throw my kids under the bus! ;)
And here's the final product. Now tell me exactly why we have to put stuff back in that beauty? I mean, look how nice and tidy it looks! And why do the people who live here have to ALWAYS eat?
- Yes, it is time to put it all back in! Well, maybe not ALL. Check expiration dates when returning things to the shelves. I did not find one expired thing - but then again, my mom just spent a month with us so no telling how much she threw away when I wasn't looking! ;)
Leftovers get lost in the clutter, do not get eaten and then have to be thrown out resulting in WASTE! Please tell me I am not alone in this!
- For those of you with large freezer and lot of frozen foods: make an inventory of your freezer space. This may not be an issue if you keep little frozen food on hand, but for us, I have seen it is a must. Usually I am a paper kind of gal, but after seeing our farm friends' method, I was sold!
Yep, dry-erase lists on the outside of the freezers! At a glance I can see what I have and, if I can ever remember to leave the marker there, I can quickly change the amount when I take something out. Someone remind me to attach a pen with a string to the door handle or something!
- I will say I am not a fan of things all over the front of the fridge. For me, it adds to the clutter and makes me start to feel a little crazy after a while. What about you? Do you have layers of things taped to the fridge that have been there for decades? This may be a time that you want to clear off all the stuff hanging on your fridge for a nice clean look, or at least a clean slate for the new year.
- And then - the floors. Yes, most of us do our floors weekly, at least, but remember, we are trying to do some deep cleaning this time!
-Stick the rugs in the washing machine!
-Move out anything that is on the floor!
-Do the baseboards first, then the nooks and crannies. Since our steam cleaner does not always seem to hit those spots, we did the floor by hand this time around.
- And an extra throw in at the last minute- we took this time to wipe down the trash can on the outside and clean the inside.
So, about that new prize!
Our friends at Redeemed, an online handmade sign shop, have graciously offered this sign for our drawing.
If you post a picture or pictures of your progress each week, you will be entered into a drawing for that as well as a $50.00 prize package to 621 Gifts and, you get to choose your own goodies!