Monday, August 10, 2020

Let School Begin

 
 
Are you ready?  It is about that time when kids across the country start school.  Yes, this year looks a bit different!  If you are a parent sending your child back to school, know that we are praying for your family as you enter a new normal.  I am sure it is different and a bit scary.

For those who have decided to enter the homeschool arena, WELCOME!  We are glad you are here.  After doing this gig for 23 years I can unequivocally say it is one of the best decisions my husband and I ever made.  As a young Air Force family, we began homeschooling to allow my girls to be with their traveling dad as much as possible when he was home.  Through the years our reasons for continuing have changed, but our passion has not.

We now have two college graduates, one headed to college in a few weeks, and begin 8th grade for our youngest next week.  It is hard to believe I am teaching 8th grade for the 4th time now!  A lot has changed through the years, but rest assured some things stay the same regardless of the year, the current conditions, or the grade!

As you begin this journey let me take a minute to pass on some things I wished I had been told when I first started!

It will be OK!  First day jitters are a real thing, in you AND your student, but it will pass.  The unknown is always the hardest, but once you get into a rhythm you will be on your way.  You can do this!

There will be naysayers!  People don't always like things they do not know or understand.  It's ok. (see point one!)  Just stay in your lane and keep your eye on the goal.  Choose to stay out of debates and drama.

You are going to be the BEST teacher!  People used to ask me all of the time if I was a trained teacher.  Ummm, I am a non-trained MOM!  And no one knows or loves these kiddos as much as I do, save God!  I am pretty sure that makes me capable of teaching them.

There is help out there if you need it!  If you are fine on an island teaching, that is great.  If you need help ask for it.  Especially now, there are tons of people out there with tons of resources ready to help support you.  Don't be afraid to ask.

You do NOT need to break the bank to homeschool.  There are free programs available and no one is going to hand you a list of required back to school items to buy.  Watch out for the sale flyers- they will pull you in to buying a lot of stuff you do not need.  Children can and will learn without all the sparkle.

You do not have to maintain a traditional school schedule!  Your goal is not to re create school.  That is not homeschooling at its finest, trust me.  If you are an early riser then start early and enjoy quiet afternoons.  If your family loves to sleep in, then do so and start when everyone is fully awake. What time you start makes no difference to the learning that will take place.

Computer learning is not the end all, be all!  This is especially true for younger kids.  They need to be active, be outside, and be learning by your side.  There is a time and place for computer learning, just be careful not to fall into the trap of hours in front of a screen if you can help it.

Every child learns differently.  If you try to put a square peg in a round hole you will have problems.  Ask me how I know!  Be adaptable and be willing to make changes where needed- for your child's sanity and yours!

You are not alone.  Currently there are untold numbers of homeschoolers out there doing the same thing you are doing.  Find your tribe and stick together.

Not every day is easy, but every day is worth it!  That's my mantra- I repeat it often.  There will be bad days and there will be good days.  It's ok.  God's mercies are new every day!  Don't give up just because you have a bad day.
 
Get ready, get so, GO!  You can do this, mommas!
 
Blessings,
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!