Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Laser Chess For The Win



You know by now we are a game loving family!  Like, we play games several times a week and often Colby and I end our school day with a quick game of cards or such.  I thought my older kids loved games- but the 13 year has them all beat.  In more ways than one, since he usually DOES win!

I was thrilled to be able to add a new game to our ever growing collection, because let's face it, we have more time on our hands these days with the virus messing with our plans.  Staying at home is a blessing though when you have fun things to do with your kids!



Laser Chess is a great addition and one I have been eyeing for a while.  The name Chess held me at bay until I got the opportunity to review it for Timberdoodle.  Let's start by saying I do not, nor does anyone in our family, play chess.  And that is OK.  Because other than the fact that you are trying to "capture" someone's king and certain play pieces can do special things, this game is not like traditional chess.

Made me feel a lot better.

Did NOT help me in winning.

But it is a fun game for two people, ages 8 and up.

There are several quick ways to set up the game and then you are ready.  Each player takes turns moving one of their pieces or has the option to rotate one.  Once you do, you push the button to see where your laser beams hits.  You can take out your own man, so careful planning is needed.  Ask me how I know! If you hit your opponent's piece, they remove that piece from the board.  Again, the object is to take out their king. 





Here's where the strategy kicks in.  The pieces are mirrored and reflect the laser beam at 90 degree angles, from one piece to another.  You have to figure out how to position your men to work together to take out your opponent.  Some pieces are always safe, some reflect on two sides, and some reflect only from one side, so careful placement is needed.




I will have to admit this game is not my cup of tea as far as winning, ( I don't. Ever.) but I do enjoy playing it with my son.  Each game takes about 10-20 minutes depending on how skilled, or not, you are.  More importantly though, is all three boys in my house, to include my husband, do like it and have gotten quite good at it. It is fun to watch them strategize and problem solve!



If you are looking for a fun game to keep those kiddos busy this fall, Laser Chess is definitely one you will want to grab!  Not only will they have fun, but they are learning great problem solving skills as they play.  That's a win- win in this momma's book!

*Laser Chess is part of Timberdoodle's 7th Grade kit!
Blessings,




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!