Tuesday, October 22, 2019

What's in a Day?

There was a time in my life as a homeschooling mom that every day looked about the same.  I am a HUGE fan of calendars, charts, and checklists, and with four kiddos it has served us well.  I am a homebody who doesn't have time for field trips and lunch dates.

Until now!  Well, I still don't have time for field trips, but lunch dates have become more frequent now that the kids are older and I am officially only schooling our last one, who is capable of feeding himself.  It is a new season in our lives and I am trying to embrace it.

Here is my issue though- no one day looks the same.  Now I know that is not a big deal to most of you, but the organizing, control freak that lives in me cringes a bit every morning.  Try as I might, our days are not neat little packages any more.  The troops have seen the other side and they have rebelled!  Between a traveling husband, two adult children living with us currently, an almost 18 year old who is taking online college classes, and my sports loving, go-go go 12 year old, well, let's just say our days can be a bit crazy!




So what does our school schedule look like?

In theory we do school from 9-3, with a quick lunch break in there somewhere.

Reality?  HA

Several day a week my husband is home and plays havoc with our school schedule.  We love it so I am not complaining, but it DOES throw us off.  Let's face it, dad is more fun than school, especially when he is gone half of the week.

And my son goes to numerous sports practices now that he is older and attend an achievement center activity three afternoons a week.

And our girls both have jobs that are polar opposites in times.  As well as social lives.

And who added all the doctor, dentists, and eye appointments to my calendar?

And I just started PT that is supposed to be fit in three times a week.

And I have friends that I love and refuse to put on the back burner.

And...on and on and on!

Anyone relate?

And so it goes.  Our ever changing day.  The only thing that is a constant is meal time, but even that is only for those that are actually at home at that time and only because I refuse to let some old habits and traditions go.  I am stubborn like that!

Here is what I am learning.

  • The Lord reminds us to hold loosely to plans.  Proverbs 19:21- Many are the plans in the mind of man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. (ESV)  That is a struggle for me, but one that I am trying hard to surrender to with less whining.  

  • All the time in our day is not nearly as important as all the people in our day.  Calendars are fun but family and friends are better.

  • While my day's schedule may not always look like I would like for it to, each day is a gift to be treasured.
TREASURE YOUR DAYS, MY FRIENDS!

Hard to believe, but some of my friends actually have my desired "normal" days!  Check out all of their posts on the Timberdoodle Blog Hop!

Blessings,

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!