Monday, August 20, 2018

Hey First-Timers!


This is Day 1 of a series for the 5 Days of Homeschool Encouragement Blog Hop hosted by the Homeschool Review Crew.  Visit us daily to read more about our life as homeschoolers.  
Monday's focus is Motivation Monday!

School is in session for many homeschoolers already, but I know there are a few still hanging on to the last few days of summer.  I also know there are a few first timers out there still holding on to fear and so this post is especially for you.

I may not have all of the answers you seek, but I have 20 years of experience behind me in this journey of schooling my four kiddos, and I know some things now I wish I had known when we started!

YOU CAN DO THIS!  Don't let the naysayers stand in your way or make you doubt.  And there will be naysayers.  But there will also be cheerleaders.  Find those people and keep them close.  They can remind you that you are not alone and that you ARE capable of schooling your kids.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!  I do remember feeling like I was the only one on any given day at home all day schooling my kids.  Now, more than ever, you can find a homeschooler on practically every street.  Remind yourself when you're feeling lonely that there are others doing the same thing you are.

YOU WILL NOT MESS UP YOUR KIDS!  OK, maybe you will, but certainly not because of the decision to homeschool.  No one loves your kids like you do, no one knows your kids like you do, and no one can teach your kids like you can.  They will be fine.  So will you!

YOU CAN TAKE ONE YEAR AT A TIME!  The decision to homeschool can be a year by year decision.  As my husband always says to us, "Eat the elephant one bite at a time."  Don't overwhelm yourself and plan out your child's life tomorrow.  (umm, anyone guilty as charged?) Take one year at a time in thoughtful prayer and seek God's will.  He will guide you to what is best for your child.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FINISH EVERY BOOK!  Or even use textbooks if you do not want to.  There are as many ways to homeschool as there are children to homeschool.  Find what works for your family and do it.  I do not ever remember finishing a textbook in school, do you?  I promise it is not the end of the world if you do not finish one at home.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE FUN!  I am not sure I knew that at first.  I was so focused on playing school at home that every day was about a schedule and checking off boxes.  There was not much room for joy.  Fast forward several children later and I actually have fun most days now.  We are flexible and sometimes go where the bunny trails take us.  Trust me when I say those bunny trials have led to some great things.

YOUR KIDS WILL THANK YOU LATER! I have one daughter that has already graduated from college and one entering her senior year.  Both are highly successful and will tell you they are thankful they were homeschooled. (Here's betting the same for the two boys remaining!)  The early years may seem a thankless job, but it doesn't stay that way.  Keep up the good fight- it is worth it!

Oh, friends, there is so much more I wish I could say to you.  I wish I could sit by your side and whisper words of encouragement in your ear all day.   Know that I am cheering you on as you begin this incredible journey, and that I pray for homeschooling moms daily.

It is a pleasure to do this life with you!

Blessings,

I am blessed to have these amazing homeschoolers as part of my tribe!  Allow their words this week to bless you and inspire you to do great things!



Amanda @ Hopkins Homeschool Angie @ Run Ran Family Adventures & Learning Annette @ A Net in Time Ashley @ Gift of Chaos Brenda @ Counting Pinecones Carol @ Home Sweet Life Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses Christine @ Christine Howard Dawn @ Schoolin' Swag Felicia @ Homeschool 4 Life Jacquelin @ A Stable Beginning Jeniffer @ Thou Shall Not Whine Jennifer @ A Glimpse of Our Life Jennifer @ Dear Homeschooler Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory Karen @ Tots and Me...Growing Up Together Kellyann @ Walking Home ... Kimberley @ Vintage Blue Suitcase Kristen @ A Mom's Quest to Teach Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break Laura @ Four Little Penguins Linda @ Apron Strings & other things Lisa @ Farm Fresh Adventures Lori @ At Home: where life happens Marla @ Jump Into Genius Meredith @ Powerline Productions: Being World Changers/Raising World Changers  Missica @ Through The Open Window Monique @ Mountain of Grace Homeschooling Nicole @ Bless Their Hearts Mom Patti @ Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy Rebekah @ There Will Be a $5 Charge For Whining Rodna @ Training Children up for Christ Stacy @ A Homemakers Heart Wendy @ Life at Rossmont Yvie @ Gypsy Road

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!