Friday, March 1, 2013

Fun Fridays- Natural Cleaners Month

How is it already March?  Where did the time go?  Anywho...

Trust me when I say that Windex used to be my best friend.  And Scrubbing Bubbles.  And Pledge.  And on and on and on.  

Then my oldest got the natural living itch a few years ago and began to harp, I mean teach me, about the hazards of all of those cleaners.  I listened.  And I continued to use what I had.  And she continued to tell me how many years I was taking off our lives each time I used my favorite products.  AND I may have, on occasion, threatened to spray her with my cleaners!  Just saying.

Guess what?  She wore me down.  I am stubborn, but not stupid.  I knew that those cleaners could not be the best thing for me.  But I was determined to use up what we had first.  And, I told her, her new natural stuff better work.  Or back to my stuff we would go.

Guess what again?  They work.  And I like them.  shhhhhhh, don't tell her.  So for the next few weeks I want to share with you some of my favorites.  I have tried a lot of different ones and these are the ones I find I like the best and that seem to work the best for me.  Ask the oldest, and she will still swear by plain 'ole vinegar and water.

The first one up-

Recycling old bottles!

All-Purpose Cleaning/Disinfectant Spray
This recipe came from Beeyoutiful, a company I had the privilege to review a while back.  We used several of their products and loved them all so I knew I would not be disappointed with anything they recommended.  I was right.

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup Castile soap or 1 tsp all-natural dish soap
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (or cheap white vinegar)
20 drops of 1 Tbsp Lavender oil
10 drops Peppermint or Eucalyptus oil
5-10 Grapefruit Seed Crush

Combine together in a spray bottle, shake to mix. Spray surface lightly and polish dry with a soft cloth. Because of the concentration of this cleaner, you don't need a lot to get the job done :)

Quick note- I personally have not added the Grapefruit Seed Crush.  Don't have any, too busy to research it right now.  I still love this cleaner and use it for almost everything...kitchen, bathrooms, you name it.  I have also used tea tree oil instead of the peppermint or eucalyptus because it is anti viral and anti bacterial.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Somehow I get the feeling maybe I wasn't supposed to read this post. =) Love you all! -ALP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Now you can just gloat! You know you want to! ;)

      Delete
  2. is the amount of Castile soap supposed to be 1/4? or is it 1/2 = 2/4? also, does liquid castile soap work?! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh! Good catch! It is 1/4 cup. And yes, we use Liquid castile soap!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!