Monday, December 10, 2018

Christmas in Arizona

While I admit to loving the sunny Arizona weather, I also admit that it has been a bit hard for me to get into the holiday mood with the 70 degree temperatures.  After all, the last few places we have lived have been blanketed in snow quite often, and while I do NOT like being cold, I LOVE SNOW!

And just for the record, there is no snow in Arizona.  Well, at least none here in the greater Phoenix area.

But it IS December and time to decorate.  I have been dragging my feet a bit this year.  In my defense, I DID just decorate this house a mere 3 months ago when we moved in.  Every time I thought about bringing out the boxes of Christmas decorations I got a bit overwhelmed.  Not with the volume, per se thanks to 34 Weeks of Clean, but just to the idea of moving things around again.

Luckily for my kiddos I have pulled up my boots straps and set a few things out.  Things are a bit simpler this year, but I did get our trees up.

The Cross tree is still my favorite I think-







But the Americana tree grips my heart every time I look at it, reminding me of the 26 years of our lives as a proud Air Force family.



The kids' tree hold memories of my childhood as well as of our kids




We always out out the ceramic tree that my aunt made years ago.  I love pulling it out each year- reminds me of the love of family!


And of course our family tree which is waiting to be decorated on Wednesday after our college girl gets home!  We can't wait.



This year we put our white nativity out.  It is one that I grew up watching my grandmother put out each year.  It is still one I love because of the memories it holds.




The other nativity we pulled out this year is one from Guatemala, to celebrate Colby's heritage.


And of course, Ashton decorated the mantle again.  Because she is talented and I am not!


A few extra touches-


A sweet treat from a friend!


 This year we join our sweet neighborhood in decorating with outside lights in addition to wreaths and such.  Several streets here have lit arches lining the sidewalks and rumor has it our street is next.



Regardless of what decorations go up or not, my prayer is that we keep the main thing, the main thing.  The decorations are beautiful, and my heart may still long for snow, but none would be needed if we weren't celebrating the birth of our Savior.  If we strip all the extras away, I pray we are still as joyous and content- knowing that the Savior's birth, his death to save us, and our salvation are the REAL reasons for us to celebrate!


May you have a blessed Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!