Thursday, September 13, 2018

Unbroken: Path to Redemption Review

We are not really a television watching family, but boy, do we love our movies!  That is why there is always a lot of excitement around here when we get the privilege to watch and review a movie before it is released to the general public.

Such is the case with Unbroken.  We got to watch a special screening last month and I have been trying to wait patiently to let you all know about it.  Well, today's the day I get to talk about it, as it will be coming to theaters in a few days!


In case you are not familiar with the title, Unbroken, Path to Redemption is the sequel to the original movie made a few years ago titled Unbroken.  Both are based off the best selling book by Laura Hillenbrand based on the true story of Louis Zamperini, and the second movie picks up where the first left off.

The story is about Louis Zamperini, an Olympian and World War II hero.  After Zamboni's plane was shot down and he was found by the enemy after floating on a raft for days, he become a prisoner of war for years before returning home to California. That is where this movie now picks up.





While he seemed "unbroken" to those around him, Zamperini's life begins to fall apart due to post traumatic stress disorder.  Even after marriage and a job helping the government sell war bonds on a traveling tour, Zamperini turn to alcohol and becomes increasingly more violent and unpredictable.  The story follows his life, the conversion of his wife Cynthia at a Billy Graham rally, and ultimately the path of healing and salvation Zamperini finds. 

Zamperini and Billy Graham became friends and worked together for several years.

It is also a powerful story of forgiveness as he learns to forgive the very people who tortured him while he was a POW.



Watch the Unbroken Trailer

So what did we think?
It took a little convincing on my part to get my family to watch this movie.  While several had read the book, none of us had seen the first movie, and my daughter in particular was much concerned about this sequel being made by a different crew and starring different actors.  She was afraid that, even if you had not watched the first one, it would somehow seem disjointed.

I would have to say that was not our experience! Again, having not seen the original Unbroken, I feel the film crew did a good job with flashbacks and such to catch you up to speed with where the story was being picked up.  The acting was strong and the story line is powerful.  There are some pretty intense flashbacks as well as some slightly violent scenes when Zamperini is drunk, but I am particularly sensitive to both of those things.  I would not recommend this film for younger audiences- it does have a PG-13 rating.

While a Christian movie about grace and redemption, this is not one of those movies that forces "religion" down your throat.  It is however a movie that shows our need for Jesus and shows how stress and trauma can affect every area of your life.

All and all, it is a good movie and one I think you will enjoy. 

I have TWO FANDANGO ticket codes to give away!  Just leave me a quick comment of why you would like to see this movie and make sure I have a good way to get a hold of you if you are the winner.  We will draw a random name on Monday!



“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255:  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”):  Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway.  Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation.  I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway.  If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller /FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days on the same blog, you are not eligible to win.  Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again.  Winner is subject to eligibility verification.

3 comments:

  1. I woukd Love to see this movie. I read The book and was fascinated by his turn to trust in Jesus and forgive after all he had been through. (I still can not imagine how he survived and was even remotely “normal” after he returned home). I did See the first movie and thought it left a lot out. Personally i didn’t care for the directing. I have been hoping the second movie is a “redemption”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After my husband walking out on my family a year ago and all we've been through, this movie looks to be encouraging to my situation. And a little "me"time would be nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I’d like to see this w/AudreyGail. Mr Zamperini is one of AudreyGail’s hero’s, & I even used that fact to build her graduation speech I gave for her. #FunFact #JICIWinIKnowYouKnowHowToGetAholdOfMe LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!