Welcome back! With the book organizing behind us, this week should be easier for most of you to tackle emotionally! ; ) Yes, last week was about clearing out books and I KNOW that several of you whined through the project. I will not name names to protect the guilty. ;) I am hoping you at least gave it a try. I know it is hard, I love books too, be we cannot take them with us to heaven. They are just things, just like the rest of the "things" in our lives. And while they can bring much happiness, we must not let them BE our happiness. If you love them, keep them. If someone else will love them more, share them!! I know that cleaning and purging are tough, but it can be done. Mind over matter! Let's don't let THINGS take over our lives!! Find a friend to hold you accountable and jump in!
34 Weeks of Clean Rinse and Repeat Week 10- Bathrooms
|Clutter on the counter tops can accumulate quickly!|
Let's get started-
- Start by emptying all of your drawers and cabinets. Yes, all. This will help you get an idea of what you have, what you need and don't need, and maybe spark an idea of a better way to put it all back. Hold on to your hats - it is ugly!
- Now, throw it all away. Just kidding, though it is tempting, right? DO take this time to DECLUTTER. Remember, that is one of our goals in the 34 Weeks of Clean. Expired medicine - throw it out. Old makeup - throw it out. Extra lotions that are not being used - throw it out. Seeing a trend? If it is not being used or will not be used in a timely manner - THROW IT OUT! It is taking up valuable space.
-A word about kid's tub toys. Inspect and throw out the old ones. I am sure you know what a mold holder those plastic ones can be. GROSS! If they have holes in them, chances are they are harboring mold. Feel free to try to bleach them, but in my humble opinion, unless you are committed to keeping that up weekly, it is better to just toss them. And if you are brave and looking for a science experiment, cut one open and see what you find. Yuck!
- Wipe out all of your drawers and cabinets before replacing your things! Anyone else amazed at how gross these areas can get quickly?
- Stick any and all rugs in the laundry!
- Take down your shower curtain and wash it as well. If you need to replace the liner, now is the time. Yes, they can be washed up, but for about $4, you can replace them just as easily. Hey, sometimes we just need to make it easier on ourselves.
- Curtains or mini-blinds? Do those as well!
- Light fixtures need to be cleaned off.
- Tub, countertops, and toilet are next. Are you having fun yet? ;)
- Walls are up next. Why? Because if you use hairspray I am willing to bet that the wall behind where you stand to do your hair has a layer of hairspray on it. ;) Don't forget the light switches while you are there, as well as any pictures or such you have hanging.
- Door frames are next. Again, why does every door have all those cute, but hard to clean decorative grooves? Design fail, I am sure!
- Off to the baseboards we go and then lastly the floors!
- More than one "extra" bathroom? Repeat! ;)
- You can now replace your rugs and shower curtain and then stand back and admire your hard work!
Are you tired yet? Just so you know, we did not do all three of our bathrooms in one day. We are not gluttons for punishment, 'ya know!
Speaking of tired - we are almost three months into cleaning and organizing our homes and I know the tendency is to slack off and let things slide a bit. (Exercise New Years' Resolutions, anyone?) Can I just encourage you to get your second wind and keep plugging away? We CAN do this! And trust me, together is much more fun.
Don't forget to post those pictures when you are done to stay in the running for our great prizes from 621 Gifts and Redeemed, plus a box of goodies from yours truly! Here is just an example of the wonderful gift boxes from 621 Gifts- you will LOVE them!
Ok friends, time to get cleaning! Remember, we are taking our homes back, one room at a time. You CAN do this!