Monday, January 12, 2015

Numbers and molecules!

Welcome back to week 2 of the 2015 Virtual Curriculum Fair!  If you missed last week's post on Words and More Words be sure you start there!  This week the co-hosts are Susan from Homeschooling Hearts and Minds and Laura from Day by Day in Our World.

Up this week- Discovering Patterns: Mathematics, Logic, and Science

Still with me?  I know, I know, those words scare me, too!  Take a few breaths and stay with me - we can do this!

So here is what I know- you can make teaching Math and Science hard or you can take some friendly advice...make it easy!

Let's start with Math-

Here's what we do-





For the 2nd grader-
Horizons Math- We started this as a review and have continued on with it.  It is working for us for now because this kiddo likes worksheets.  We usually do Saxon Math at this age but CJ was just getting bored with it and we needed a change.


IXL Math- Another review item, but we really like it!  While it is not a full teaching program, it is a great review as well as a challenge since you have access to all grades.  If, like me, you have a kiddo that likes the computer, this is a great program.  And if you have days that you just cannot devote a full hour to teaching a new concept, this is a great way to keep a child current.  Ask me how I know this!

Learning Wrap Ups- You know the drill- a review item.  ;)  But yes, we love them.  CJ is a hands-on kid and loves learning math facts this way.  Beats the whining when I try to bring out fact sheets.



For the 7th grader-
Teaching Textbooks!  That's it!  We love this computer-based program and would not recommend anything else at this level.  It's just that good.  And hey, any program that automatically grades and keeps records for you gets bonus points in my book.  Can I get an amen!?

For the 11th grader-
You guessed it, Teaching Textbooks would be what I recommend.  As it so happens, my daughter is ahead of the system and so she did Math U See's Stewardship program.  She is also currently reviewing Algebra 1 and 2 as well as Geometry on IXL in preparation for CLEPing College Algebra in February!

And Science-

For the 2nd grader-
Nancy Larson Science- Several friends recommended this to me and we really like it.  It is all inclusive, scripted, and fun.  CJ loves the short workbook pages and the fun activities.  The current level we are doing includes raising butterflies and ladybugs, looking at X-Rays and more.  It is not Christian based but we have not found anything offensive to us at this level.

For the 7th grader-
Apologia, of course!  General Science to be exact.  We are blessed to have a co-op class that does the experiments together (Thank you, Christy!) and we LOVE the notebook.  It is a must have, in my opinion.


For the 11th grader-
Apologia Marine Biology.  At this grade, I allow my kids to choose their fourth science.  My oldest did Human Anatomy, but this kiddo chose Marine Biology.  'Cause we live real close to an ocean - NOT!  Regardless, she is really enjoying it.

So, not a lot of bells and whistles, I know.  Pretty simple, actually, but it works for us.  Truth be known, these are probably the two subjects that excite me the least to teach, but hey, they need to be covered, right?

The following friends are blogging about Math and Science as well as logic this week, so make sure you see if they are more interesting than me! ;)  Go ahead, I do not mind - I am headed there myself!

Learning about Patterns in Our World Through Math and Science by Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
Relaxed Homeschooling: Mathematics in the Early Elementary Years by Brittney @ Mom's Heart
Using a Bible-Based Math Curriculum by Tauna M @ Proverbial Homemaker
Math, Science and Logic for 2015 by Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses
Playing with Numbers by Sarah @ Delivering Grace
Unschooling Science by Kristen H. @ Sunrise to Sunset
Logically Speaking: Math, Science, and Logic for 7th Grade  by Christy @ Unexpected Homeschool
Math and Science in Our Homeschool by Jennifer @ A Glimpse of Our Life
5 Math & Logic Resources We Love by Becky @ Milo & Oats
Giving Your Kids The Right Start With Math by Amy @ One Blessed Mamma
Math in Our Classical / Charlotte Mason Homeschool by Sharra @ The Homeschool Marm
Classical STEM by Lisa @ Golden Grasses
Math, Science and Logic - How do we Tackle Them? by Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
The Physics of Delight-Directed Learning by Susan @ The Every Day of Education
Tackling High School Science by Debra @ Footprints in the Butter
Choosing Math Curriculum for Special Learners by Heather @ Only Passionate Curiosity
Math for all ages by Denise @ Fullnest
Middle School Monday - Math With Fred by Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!