Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Project Organize- Bye Bye Clothes

 
 
I want to start this post by telling you up front I am not a clothes expert!  Far from it.  The girls and I have often joked that I needed to go on What Not to Wear.  Except of course, that words of affirmation are my love language and they would surely make me cry.  So I wear pretty simple stuff I like and can afford and hope the amazingly dressed people get noticed more than I do.

Quite honestly, it is not something I have a lot of time for.  Yes, I like to look, and therefore, feel nice, but friends - I have four kids.  I homeschool them. I have a house to clean and a husband to love on.  And shopping, honestly, doesn't do much for me.  Except frustrate me.  So I do not do it often anymore.

But, boy did I use to!  And through the years I have had the piles of clothes to prove it.  Way too many!  They tend to collect and take over just like all the other things in our lives.  I have even gone through other phases of dumping stuff on the curb, but this is one area that tends to take back over quickly.  Can anyone relate?  Please?

For those of you that have been following Project Organize, you saw the stuff we cleared out of our bedroom closet.  It was a lot of stuff.  And since then I have been determined not to go backwards.  Ever!  Too much stuff, too many choices.  And I do not have time for choices. 

A word about my style - I have had people ask me, "What are you so dressed up for?" 

Answer: for me, for my husband, and for my day!
 
With few exceptions to the rule, I simply get up and get dressed for the day - not for an event.  In my closet you will find:
-everyday clothes
-church clothes
-military-event dressy clothes
 
In a drawer in my dresser you will find four sets of "grungy" clothes that I clean in, paint in, workout in and garden in.
 
That's it.  Because I have found when you have an outfit for this and an outfit for that and oh yeah, an outfit for that, someone I can get carried away and end up with more outfits than one can possibly need.  Or should need.  And you end up with too many choices.
 
I have also learned that I do better with minimal color choices.  Go here or or anywhere on pinterest and you will see gals telling you to pick a color palette and stick with it.  Then you can mix and match and end up with more outfits using less clothes.  While I may not be good at it, it is a great way to think.  Do my friends get tired of seeing me in the same clothes?  Maybe.  But at least they are nice enough not to tell me ;)
 
 
 
I now have hanging in my closet:
10 sweaters/cardigans
2 white button downs
10 blouses
10 tank tops (to wear with a sweater)
One gray Jacket
1 pair of gray pants
3 pairs of black pants
1 pair black jeans
2 dark jeans
Church clothes (3 skirts, 1 dress pants, matching tops)
 
Minimal?  Maybe.  Boring?  Maybe.  But freeing! 
 
Cutting back on everything from dishes, to toys, to clothes, has freed our home of clutter and my brain from stress.  And yes, even my heart from guilt!  And I have loved every minute of it.
 
Hope you will join us next week for our final Project Organize: Furniture!

2 comments:

  1. Your wardrobe list is inspiring! I have been avoiding my closet, but a goal like that list makes it seem doable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been avoiding my closet, but your pics and simple list make it seem doable....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!