Thursday, September 24, 2020

The Quest for Bread

It seems that everyone decided to use the COVID quarantine as a time to master the art of bread making.  I, on the other hand, have been trying to master it for years with little success.  

When Ashton was a young teen she learned to make sourdough bread from her grandmother.  Starter and all!  It is arguably the BEST bread out there.  Seriously.  People would pay her to make it for them.  But eventually we learned she had a severe wheat sensitivity and the days of her supplying us with weekly bread ended.

Oh, I know, I could have taken her place, but I am telling you, that bread is HARD to make and I do not have the skill or the patience that she and her grandmother have.  

So I tried many different, "easier", recipes.  With no luck.  Most were either too complicated or had a crust as hard as a brick.  My boys like soft crust bread they can use for sandwiches.  They would have made bad french men!  Hard crusty bread is just NOT their thing.

There just so happened to be one recipe I had been carrying around for a few months and was determined to try when the virus hit.  Wouldn't you know it- just the same time that yeast became a hot commodity, right up there with toilet paper.

Luckily, Ashton found a way to get her hands on some (yeast, that is) and I got brave enough to try one more recipe.

WINNER!  Like, the perfect loaf of bread.

 

And not just an anomaly!  Perfect every single time. 

 And my boys LOVE it because it has a soft crust and is perfect for sandwiches.

 

And toast.

And french toast.

And snack.

You get the idea!

Hey, we all need to have times and things to celebrate!  This is my Covid celebration!

Now, off to find more yeast!

Blessings,






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!