Friday, August 24, 2018

Time Tested Favorites


Welcome to the LAST day of our 5 Days of Homeschool Encouragement Blog Hop.  I don't know about you but I have loved reading so many amazing posts.  I am also worn out!  Here are my earlier posts-


Today's theme is Friday Favorites!

I know it's not nice to play favorites but let's face it, we all do it.

Favorite ice cream...check.
Favorite movie...check.
Favorite restaurant...check.

And curriculum...yep, I have some favorites.

Actually, I like all that we use and have used.  One of the glories of homeschooling is that if we don't like a certain curriculum we ditch it.  There is no reason to suffer through something that is not a good fit.

Sometimes we just find an even better fit.

But there are definitely some programs that have blessed us beyond belief, thrilled my kids, or just taught us more that we ever thought we could learn.  Some we have used for years and a few are pretty new, but regardless, they are the ones I recommend to the most people.

Please keep in mind every child is different and therefore has different needs.  What works for one may not work for others, as I have seen with my own four.  But that being said, let me share with you my Time Tested Favorites!  If I have reviewed it, I have linked it for you.

History-
Veritas Press Self Paced History-  This is a five year cycle intended for upper elementary to lower middle school ages.  We are in our 5th year and we adore it.  It is online and it is rich in Christian Worldview.  It is pricey, but worth every penny and goes on sale several times a year.
Notgrass- We have used several of these books, also for the middle age range, and had very good success with them.  We will be picking them up again next year and I am excited about that.

Math-
Saxon Math- I know there may be a few of you that just physically cringed, but I still feel this is the best math out there for the first few years of math instruction.  Between the manipulatives you use, the meeting book (calendar), and the clear cut directions, it is user friendly for what often tends to be first time homeschoolers.
Teaching Textbooks- We switch over to this about 4th or 5th grade and use through highschool.  The new online version is fantastic!

Science-
Apologia courses for the elementary and middle school levels still soar above the rest, in my opinion.  We have used them all at some point or the other with great success.
Northwest Treasures is new to us this year, but man do we love it!  It is hard to find young earth Christian based science so we are thrilled with the products they offer for many ages. 

Literature-
Sonlight has worked for us for 11 years so I have to say that is still our go to.  I do advise you to review the books your child reads, as I do feel there are a few questionable ones at the higher levels.
Progeny Press Literary Guides are also an amazing resource, especially if you want to expand literature beyond the standard just answer a few questions and be done.

Language Arts-
Reading Eggs and Reading Kingdom, both computer based programs, are a cut above the rest.  I wish I had used them both for all my kids, as our youngest used them both and read way earlier and easier than the other three.
Hake Publishing is also new to us this year, but I LOVE it!  Made by the same people who did Saxon Math, it is organized and concise.  Since they only go to 8th grade currently, I am praying they continue through the high school years before we get there this time around.


Spelling-
If you are looking for a stand alone spelling program I cannot rave enough about All About Spelling.  It is hands on and simple to use.

Bible-
Again, Apologia stands out!  Their What We Believe series will take you through four years of Bible study.  It is a great backbone to further learning, setting the stage for a Christian worldview.
I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist is also from Apologia and I HIGHLY recommend it for your highschooler.

Foreign Language-
Song School Spanish and Flip Flop Spanish are both good beginner Spanish programs and make learning fun.
Homeschool Spanish Academy was absolutely the best experience for us during a review and we have plans to begin it again for Colby next year.  There is nothing better than learning a foreign language from a LIVE native speaking teacher!

Electives-
Apologia's Health (for high schoolers) is newly out and just as amazing as their science programs. (review coming next week!)
ARTistic Pursuits- I am not an artsy crafty type of gal, but this is a great program for all ages!

Could I come up with more?  Oh man, yes!  I LOVE talking curriculum, so if you need some ideas or just want to brainstorm together never hesitate to ask!  Just make sure you have more than a few minutes to spare! ;)



Blessings and Happy Homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!